Using Dutch Oven: Red Miso Chicken!
Few of my friends got Le Cruset/Dutch Oven recently and has been asking for some recipes utilizing this amazing pot. So, here it is… Red Miso Chicken! This is based on a Korean dish that I don’t know the name of… hahahaha and I recreated the recipe, my way.
Red Miso Chicken
(Serving size 4-5 people)
1/2 Tbsp of Vegetable or canola oil
2.75–3lbs of Chicken, dark meat (trim extra fat & skin and score the chicken)
1/2 cup of sake
1 cup of water
1 Tbsp of soy sauce
2 Tbsp of brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp finely diced ginger
15 pieces of garlic peeled
1/4 cup of dark or red miso (soy bean paste)
1/2 cup of kochujan (Korean hot pepper paste)
2 Tbsp Roasted & crushed Sesame seeds
2 cups of roughly chopped carrots
2 med. sized onions roughly chopped
1. Place vegetable oil in dutch oven and warm the pot with high heat
2. When the dutch oven is well heated, place the lightly salted & peppered chicken in the dutch oven and sear both sides. When seared, place it aside on a plate.
3. Pre-heat the oven 350 degrees
4. Deglaze the dutch oven using sake and bring it to boil
5. Add water, soy sauce and brown sugar to the pot and simmer
6. Add ginger, garlic, miso, kochujan & crush sesame seed and keep simmering
7. Add carrots and onions and bring it to boil
8. When the mixture reaches boiling point, turn the heat off & place the chicken back in to the pot and close the lid
9. Place the dutch oven in to the oven and bake for 1 hour and 20 min.
10. Serve it with side of white steamed rice and vegetables of choice, ENJOY!