Lemon and Cabbage Soup for Healthy, Light and Cheap Dinner
Ok, so healthy eating is theme of my cooking until we get rid of our excess holiday weights. But hey, I can’t be eating salads every day in this cold weather. So here’s the soup I came up with using simple ingredients. Here’s the picture of process and ingredients. Check out the recipe below.
…and the final soup. It’s healthy, light AND cheap! Yes, there’s bacon in it but mere 4 slices for a pot of soup that feeds 2-3 people!
Lemon and Cabbage Soup (for 2-3 people)
10 oz of pearl onions peeled and ends trimmed or 1 med. white onion peeled and roughly diced
6 cloves of garlic sliced
4 slices of bacon roughly chopped
1 med. sized potatoes diced in 1/2 in. cubes
1/3 of med. sized cabbage roughly chopped
1/2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
1/4 tsp of black peppers
1 1/2 Tbsp of salt
4 cups of water
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
Juice of 1 lemon (If you don’t like too much sourness in your soup, use juice of 1/2 lemon)
1. Heat the pot with vegetable oil
2. Add bacon in to a pot and cook until crisp
3. Add onions in to the pot and cook in med. heat for 5 min.
4. Add garlic and potatoes with pepper and 1/2 Tbsp of salt. Cook in med. heat for 5 min.
5. Add cabbage, 1 Tbsp of salt, and water and bring it to a boil
6. Close the lid and simmer for 15 min in low med. heat
7. squeeze juice of 1 lemon and add parsley in to the pot and simmer in low heat for 10 min. ENJOY!